Re: OV_Node_Down indications

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: OV_Node_Down indications
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:32:09 -0400
In 6.02 the RFI is on by default. When I see rapid changes in status
based on Netview events, for example in less than the polling cycle,
I believe it can usually be attributed to RFI. (Verify that the polling
cycle is what you think it is.) If you have unmanaged router
interfaces to those subnets, or if you have not discovered all of
the routers on that subnet, or if access is not actually reflected by
the router layout, then RFI can be more of a hindrance than a help.
I am also seeing it when some routers are non-snmp, so they are
not represented on all of the subnets that they should be on.
RFI can be turned off. See the release notes for 6.02.

If the down/up matches your regular polling cycle, eg 5 minutes,
then it would be just a regular false alarm. Adjust the timeouts and
retries in the SNMP config dialog (Options..).

Detroit

                    "Haswell,

                    Pete"                To:     "'IBM NetView Discussion'"

                    <Pete.Haswell@        <nv-l@tkg.com>

                    ANICO.com>           cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     [NV-L] OV_Node_Down
indications
                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    08/29/01 01:12

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi List,

We have Netview for NT 6.0.2 configured to generate OV_Node_Down/Up events
to TEC. We seem to get a high number of erroneous events generated. Mot of
the time the OV_Node_Up is generated within a short period of time. Any
ideas what causes this?

Thanks

Pete