Trap Filtering ??

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Trap Filtering ??
From: jdennison@tc.faa.gov (Jeff CTR Dennison)
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:46:42 -0400
     I have inherited maintenance of a series of small (25 IP addresses)
     systems with a NetView based monitoring and control workstation at
     each of 20 sites. Approximately 5 or 6 times each day at each site
     NetView displays a message such as "Interface eth0 (or eth1 or Fddi0)
     down" for some processor or router port. These traps are set up using
     ovxbeep to post an alarm that must be manually acknowledged. However,
     the processor or port is not actually down.  The system being
     monitored is a real-time, life critical system with personnel manning
     the monitoring position 24/7. The problem is that the monitoring
     personnel have beome used to ignoring the alerts and just clicking
     them off because they are almost always false alarms and they are now
     complaining about the high number of false alarms. This is a bad
     situation in a life critical environment.

     Although I have very little actual NetView expertise I have been told
     that the traps can be filtered so that the trap would only be
     displayed if if happened twice during some time period or twice in a
     row, or something similar.

     I'm hoping someone can either help in how this filtering might be done
     or point me to a good reference source.

     I would appreciate it very much if you could respond to my email
     address since I have just joined the maining list and am not fully set
     up yet.

     Thanks in advance for any help.