netmon rattles my disk to death!

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: netmon rattles my disk to death!
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 19:56:03 +0100
AIX 4.3.3 ML06, NV 6.0.2.
Recently I've found that there is the usual disk rattle when netmon
starts up and when I open a map and synchronisation occurs.  But now, a
"netmon -a 12" causes a huge disk rattle for several minutes; same for
any netmon -a command.  Turning up netmon tracing shows that any of the
netmon -a commands causes a ping of everything in the database!!  Surely
this isn't expected?  It's definitely netmon doing this 'cos if you kill
netmon the disk rattle stops the moment netmon dies.

What's changed I hear you ask??  I've installed TEC AIM recently but
I've made sure it's not running.  I've also installed the X11.vfb part
of AIX.

vmstat shows all the CPU going into wait ie. rattling the disk.  There's
no system paging going on.  The ovwdb cache parameter is about 3 times
the object database.  There's no obvious growth in anything in
/usr/OV/log and there's nothing in the AIX error log.

Anyone else seen this?  Any clues?

Thanks,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565