Réf. : RE: DNS and Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Réf. : RE: DNS and Netview
From: thierry.van-mol@ciev.vd.ch
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:37:47 +0200
I can't comment on the necessity for Netview to have or not a DNS
entry (both way) for each router interface. However I can tell that
having such a DNS configuration can be automated if you use some tools,
and it can give you some benefits for debugging (like when you do
a traceroute).

The basic idea is this: having a cisco configuration file, writing
a awk (or perl or whatever) script to generate DNS entries for
every interface is very simple. Now if you use CW2000 on Unix,
there is a directory where all last version of configuration files
are saved.

So what I do is the following: when a router is added, I just
enter a DNS entry for the loopback interface. This is enough
to enter the router in CW2000, and in Netview. Then I have
written a shell script that every week will synchronize
all the DNS entries generated from all the cisco configuration
files saved by CW2000 and my DNS. This script can handle things
like address removed from interfaces or moved from one router
to the other.

Thierry

Thierry Van Mol                            email:
thierry.van-mol@ciev.vd.ch
Centre Cantonal des Telecommunications     Tel: +41 (0) 21 316 27 05