Re: Data collection/thresholds, ruleset question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Data collection/thresholds, ruleset question
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 19 Sep 2001 23:08:30 -0500
"Paul Maine Jr." <paulm@msicc.com> writes:
> Todd
>
> No, Netview NT does not have this capability. I know this does not
> help you but I am solving my hysterisis issue ( by the way I also
> have an EE/Physics background ) by forwarding the Netview alarms to
> the Tivoli Enterprise Console(TEC). With TEC you can write your own
> rules. When the events are sent to TEC, TEC look for four ( you can
> change the number to anything you wish) successive samples that are
> above the threshold before doing anything.  If one of the successive
> sample drops below the lower threshold - TEC starts counting over.
>
> By using this technique you can filter out most of the "short duration
> spikes".
>
> Paul

Hmm.  TEC does sound like a good place to do that, since it appears to
have a primitive for this sort of filter.  Unfortunatley with our
organizaton, I don't have diddling priviledges with TEC--but I can
certainly harass those who do.  :-)

Bummer that NetView can't do it directly, though.  We like to keep as
many things out of the ole TEC cache as possible and filter locally.

Best Regards,