Problem with mibExpr.conf & snmpCollect

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Problem with mibExpr.conf & snmpCollect
From: Costas Vergakis <vergakis@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 02:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi list,

 We're running Netview 6.0.1 on Solaris 2.6

We have a peculiar problem concerning snmpCollect and
mibExpr.conf.
Here is the situation.
We need to monitor the CISCO variable bufferMdMiss (
OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.27),
in an expression.

As we clearly see from xnmbrowser, bufferMdMiss is
loaded as INTEGER. As we want
to collect rate (instead of the real values) we add an
entry for this variable in
/usr/OV/conf/mib.coerce (we put the variable as
COUNTER).

When we collect (by snmpCollect) the variable itself
we get the expected results
(rate) and bufferMdMiss.0! has description COUNTER in
it.

When we put the variable in an expression ( for
example : bufferMdMiss 10 * ) in
/usr/OV/conf/mibExpr.conf we get as result 10 * real
value of bufferMdMiss, which
means that bufferMdMiss is treated like INTEGER!!!

So, we thought that maybe snmpCollect doesn't "look"
in mib.coerce. That's why we
decided to delete the entry and make the following
steps:

We searched for the MIB that loads bufferMdMiss and
found out that it's the cisco MIB.
We unloaded the MIB ( using Options->Load/Unload
MIBs...), edit the MIB changing the
SYNTAX to COUNTER ( instead of INTEGER ) for the
bufferMdMiss and reloaded the MIB.

We checked bufferMdMiss with xnmbrowser and is loaded
as COUNTER all right. As a result
of this, snmpCollect interprets the variable as
COUNTER without adding an entry in
mib.coerce file. This works fine when we collect the
variable alone. We tried again
to collect the above expression (bufferMdMiss 10 *)
but again the variable is treated
as an INTEGER by snmpCollect within the expression.

We repeated the above steps with many other variables
(of type INTEGER) trying to use
them as COUNTERS in expressions - in the context of
snmpCollect- and we had the same
results (They all treated as INTEGERS within the
expressions).

Has anybody seen this?
Any help appreciated.

TIA