Re: Netview window updates

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview window updates
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:29:30 -0400
Sorry, but I wouldn't know about "X11 double buffering extension protocol".
And I don't work on ovw-binary nor ipmap.   Not my area.  But I know they
do buffer sometimes and not others, depending on what operation is being
performed.  That is under application cpontrol.  But I don't know what to
tell you about your customized map.  As I said, not my area.

But the flashing event window means that you are exceeding the capability
of your display to keep up with the X updates that are being thrown his
way.  Every new list item or new card does the cause the entire window to
be re-drawn.  It has to.   The new item goes in the front, the last one is
removed, and all the ones in between are redrawn to fit.  So no matter how
you slice it, every new event requires a complete redraw of the window.
What can you do?  Take some of the traps you don't need to see and make
them "Log Only"  or use a ruleset other than forwardall.rs to threshold
some of the more frequent offenders.  My guess is that you are getting a
lot of agent traps, since netmon does not send traps fast enough to
overpower the display from what I have seen.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software