RE : Gentle scolding

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE : Gentle scolding
From: "Yvon Decelles" <yvon.decelles@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:39:09 -0400
There?s many reason why not to upgrade.

Ex1: One of our client required the use of a RACAL module which will not
work with NV6.02. Until we come-up with a solution for his legacy
hardware there?s not much choice but to stay with the old software for
at least part of the management of the infra.

Ex2: If you?ve heavily invested programming effort in API interfaces it
can be very time consuming to re-test everything and because of this my
experience has been that people prefer to stick with what is stable.

Ex3: New release == new bug. Often it?s simpler to stick with a release
with known bug but with documented work around then to upgrade to a new
release where you don?t know what you will get.

Personaly I?ve always been part of the crowd that will push back upgrade
until a critical feature I need is available or until there?s no more
support for the release I use. This has served me well in part life as I
can concentrate on building new solution rather then simply upgrade to
have the ?flavor of the day?.

Minor upgrade are one thing, major release upgrade quite another ? it
all depends on what is fixed, how it?s fixed and if you need-it. IMO, if
you don?t miss-it, you don?t need-it (You know what I mean).

My .02cents (CDN on top of that!).