RACAL module and Gentle scolding

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RACAL module and Gentle scolding
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:20:42 -0400
Yvon -
I'd be interested to hear more about this situation you have
"Ex1: One of our clientrequired the use of a RACAL module which will not
work with NV6.02. Until we come-up with a solution for his legacy hardware
there's not much choice but to stay with the old software for at least part
of the management of the infra."

I don't know of anyone here in my group aware of what you are talking
about.  I am amazed to hear that there is a hardware dependency that 6.0.1
addresses that 6.0.2 does not.  Or are you saying that he has some old
software on the NetView box which isn't supported any more?  I can
understand that but I don't see how that can be supported at 6.0.1 or 6.0
and not at 6.0.2, since 6.0.2 is basically just bug fixes on top of 6.0.
There was no change of announcement about what is or is not supported.  Can
you elaborate?  Do you have an APAR open?  Are you waiting for a fix?

As far as your other points go, you can do what you like, of course, but
the official view here at Tivoli is that you are out of support once a
later maintenance level than the one you have  becomes available in your
area.  I hope this is not news to you.  The Level 2 folks will still talk
to you, and do their best to assist you in diagnosing your problems, but
all new fixes are built on 6.0.2, so you are out of luck if you need a new
fix and it tuns out to be incompatible with 6.0.1. We couldn't build a fix
on 6.0.1 -- that level of code ceased to exist the day 6.0.2 was released
because all the build machines were committed to the new level.  There is
no process in place to remove code fixes once they are made part of the
base build level.   You only think you are more stable on 6.0.1.  It is a
documented fact that 6.0.2 contains all the fixes that are in 6.0.1 and
many dozens more.  The official view, once again, is that 6.0.2 is more
stable than 6.0.1 -- our call rate and our APAR rate have both declined
with 6.0.2 -- which is evidence that 6.0.2 is more stable.

I do accept the fact that your points are well-taken with regard to new
major Versions, such as a migration from 5.1 to 6.0, or 6.0 to 7.1, where
re-testing of your API code and such might be needed.  But for maintenance
releases, which are basically just accumulations of  bug fixes, that should
not be necessary.  That is the sort of testing we do here.  We make sure
the APIs still work when we fix stuff that impacts them.    That's why the
fixes are released in an integrated level, such as 6.0.2, so that they can
all be regression tested together.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT