Facilitating discovery of IP Objects

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Facilitating discovery of IP Objects
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:27:43 -0400
What would be my best approach for facilitating the discovery of objects.
Our current approach is 'pinging the serial address' (in this case a
router).  I did not implement this approach, but as it turns out, lately the
NOC has not been able to discover objects this way.

First, is there an easy way to do this that I am missing?  I want this
design to be usable on the fly, ie not adding an entry to the seed file and
restarting.  Second, if there is not an easy way, where should I begin
looking?

I am versed with Netview API, what are the downsides of creating my own
object (Create the Object, Add to Submap, etc) since I know its information
and where it is to be placed?