RE: Re: IP status

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Re: IP status
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:37:12 -0400
Id like to take a stab at this...

I have witnessed this happen many times.  My environment is a nightmare.
All of what I am going to discuss was already in place before I got here.
The design for my NMS is to use the Netview GUI (OVw) to display proprietary
status of objects to the operator on top of Netviews 'IP Status' for that
node.  Example, down-trap-1 (our own MIB) comes in and we change the color
of the object of the node to red (Critical), even though that node has
network connectivity.  Netviews 'IP Status' has not changed (use nvUtil p to
show this) but the object icon is red.  During some development I had a
collection of these objects based on the 'IP Status'.  So what I would see
happen was the objects icon red, but is not being displayed in my collection
(rule was 'IP Status' = 'Warning' || 'Major' || 'Critical').  The internals
behind this is Netview (ipmap, OVw, netmon?) knows this objects IP Status to
be healthy, and netmon <i>does not care what the icons color is</i>, since
netmon/ipmap knows its IP Status has not changed, why should it take other
action.  To go further, the representation of that symbol/object in OVw
(ovw.h, OVwSymbolInfo, OVwObjectInfo) has a OVwStatusType value representing
the icon color.  Netview is not 'defined' to have icon color represent IP
status.  netmon/ipmap will set this status when there is a change, just as I
do when I get a trap-down/up evet.  This is in no way a flame, just my
observations as a user in an 'unfriendly environment'.

What does this mean to you?

Maybe you have an application setting the icon color and you dont know it?
What are the specific rules on your Smartset?  I am using netview 5.1.3 so
my results may differ somewhat to yours, but unless there have been some
serious underlying changes, I would assume this to be the case.
Never-the-less, take my info with a grain of salt and see if you can apply
it to your situation.

FWIW, I am still in the process of selling to my higher-uppers that the
current implementation is horribly incorrect, from many standpoints.  Dont
get me started on our switchover design ;).  It is my opinion the proper
solution for this environment is to decouple the proprietary aspect of the
node into its own symbol/object and have our specific traps change the color
of that symbol instead of stepping on OVw's (ipmap, netmon, etc) toes.

Hope this helps,
Jason