Re: CNAT Hardware Requiremets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: CNAT Hardware Requiremets
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:03:59 -0400
That last point is important. The CPU is important if you are going to run
all of your traffic through it. So the recommended solution is to isolate
the
traffic, as Mike says. When you do that, the cpu requirement is pretty
small.

There is a new version coming out along with Netview V7, and you should
probably wait a couple of weeks if you can, since there will be significant
changes in the requirements. I just checked and there is not yet an
announcement letter for it, so I cannot say for sure. But new and different
configurations will be possible.

Detroit

                    Mike Walsh

                    <mike.walsh@reli       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    astar.com>             cc:     Pedro Canas Sanchez

                    Sent by:                <pedrocs@soluziona.com>

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.c       Subject:     Re: [NV-L] CNAT
Hardware
                    om                      Requiremets

                    10/19/01 07:01

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Juan,

We just implemented CNAT useing a basic IBM 43P.  Nothing special about it
other than the 2 network interfaces.  I do suggest that you ensure that you
have 2 100M interfaces.

The only surprise I got was the need for a router between the CNAT Box and
the Netview Box.  WE also put both on their own (DEAD Ended) segment to
hold
down on the packets that the CNAT box has to handle.

Mike