Re: NetView 7.1 and TIPN

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView 7.1 and TIPN
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:25:30 -0400
We aren't going backwards.  The problem with TIPN is not NetView but
Inventory.  They changed their database schema significantly and made it
incompatible with the old NetView side of things.  And since they derive no
revenue from TIPN -- it is distributed free -- they refused to fund a
rewrite and there was no time in the 7.1 schedule for a shift of NetView
resources.  So a rewrite for the NetView side will have to wait.  But as l
understand it, and as it says in the Release Notes, the old NetView parts
of TIPN are included in the NetView base, so as far as I know, your old
stuff should migrate.   If you are using TIPN now, then you can continue
with 7.1.  But just as now with 6.0, that will not work with the most
current version Inventory.

That's the story as I understand it.  Is your information different?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software
IBM Software Group
Please note that my new id is jshanks@us.ibm.com

                    Jane Curry

                    <jane.curry@skills-       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    1st.co.uk>                cc:

                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: [NV-L] NetView
7.1 officially announced October 16, 2001
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com

                    10/22/01 05:02 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

I see from the PLET that  there is no new Tivoli Integration Pack for
NetView (TIPN) and that not all current functionality will migrate to
NetView 7.1.  Why are we going backwards here????

James Shanks wrote:

     Well, it's official.
     See IBM Announcement Letter  201-298 for details.
     NetView 7.1 will be generally available October 26, 2001.
       Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.

Cheers,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565