Re: Nways Java Device View

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Nways Java Device View
From: Jim Kellock <jkellock@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:17:09 -0400
For documentation, Q&A responses, Tips, downloads, and access to the
Nways Forum, go to www.networking.ibm.com/support, and slide down the
list shown under --Click here for product list-- to your version and
platform for Nways.  And on your platform (you don't say what it is-
AIX, NT, or HPUX- you should find the help files (as html docs) in
/usr/CML/JMA/java/websvr/help.  There's a file called toc.html there
where you should start.

The performance objects (PODS) are MIB variables that are monitored.
Within the Java Performance engine, you have performance object
definitions (PODS- these are the raw MIB variables or formulas), Graphs
(where PODS are added for monitoring, Views (which group Graphs
together), and the profiles, which actually place the graphs on the
navigation tree of specific device types (by OID).  If you intend to use
these, there will be a configuration learning curve, and you need to
evaluate this tool against what you already have in NetView.  The Nways
applications do give you a distributed monitoring capability, sort of
like MLM, but as a Java application. However, if you are using NetView
function for monitoring other network devices, it might make more sense
to use the same function for the IBM networking devices that Nways is
designed to manage.

And an additional consideration is that since the Nways products have
been withdrawn and nearing end of life for support (except for selected
token ring devices still marketed, and for ONLY the Element Manager for
those), it will become increasingly difficult to get support for them.

Hope this helps.

This is advice only, not an official IBM opinion, position, or
recommendation.

Jim Kellock.