Re: MIB Applications on Solaris

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MIB Applications on Solaris
From: "Oliver Bruchhaeuser" <oliver.bruchhaeuser@de.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:01:44 +0200
Leslie,

what you have done is running fine on my box: NetView 6.0.2, Solaris 2.6

You may want to dump your packets by appending the -d flag for mibtable in
/usr/OV/registration/C/ovmib/PhyAddr
to see what's going on.

Also you may want to compare your udp network options with those from my
box:

NddOptions=`/usr/sbin/ndd /dev/udp \? | /usr/bin/grep -v "?" |
/usr/bin/grep -v "(write only)" | /usr/bin/cut -f 1 -d "("`
for NddOption in $NddOptions
do
  echo "$NddOption `/usr/sbin/ndd /dev/udp $NddOption`"
done

udp_wroff_extra 32
udp_def_ttl 255
udp_smallest_nonpriv_port 1024
udp_trust_optlen 0
udp_do_checksum 1
udp_smallest_anon_port 32768
udp_largest_anon_port 65535
udp_xmit_hiwat 8192
udp_xmit_lowat 1024
udp_recv_hiwat 8192
udp_max_buf 262144
udp_extra_priv_ports 2049
4045
udp_status UDP      lport src addr        dest addr       port  state
6005f5f8 00520 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 00000 IDLE

You will find the meaning of those parameters in

 "Solaris Tunable Parameters Reference Manual"

http://docs.sun.com/ab2/coll.709.2/SOLTUNEPARAMREF/

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Oliver Bruchhaeuser
Tivoli NetView EMEA L2 Support

IBM Deutschland GmbH - ITS Tivoli - Dept. 7977 - Hechtsheimer Str. 2 -
55131 Mainz - Germany
Phone: +49-6131-84-5108 - Fax: +49-6131-84-6585 - email:
bruchhae@de.ibm.com

Need help with Tivoli Software Products?
Ask Tivoli!
http://www.tivoli.com/asktivoli (login with your customer account)

                    Leslie

                    Clark/Southfield       To:     NV-L@tkg.com

                    /IBM@IBMUS             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     [NV-L] MIB Applications
on Solaris
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.c

                    om

                    23.10.2001 19:24

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

I've been noticing something lately, and only on Solaris, so maybe you
folks can tell me if this is a OS configuration item that I am unaware of.

I usually modify the delivered MIB Appl for Interface Information to
include
the ifIndex (I'm pretty sure that field was left out so that adding it back
could
be used as a training exercise....). When I do this on Solaris, the
resulting
application fails to return all rows of the interface table. I have been
working
around this by eliminating other columns until it successfully returns all
rows.
I assume this has something to do with the mazimum size of the request
or something. Although I sometimes have to remove two columns to get
one added. Odd.

I don't think I have seen this on AIX, but I could be wrong. Anyone have
any
ideas?

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager