Re: Wrong OID in database

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Wrong OID in database
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:09:07 -0400
That is how it works on NT when the devices snmp-capable but
the oid is unknown to Netview. I assume it did this so it could use the
fake oid as the basis of the BadOIDs smartset and log. If you have
the logging of bad oids turned on (a netmon feature, or discovery
feature), then you can use the output of the log to build the update
needed for the c:\usr\OV\conf\oid_to_type file. After deleting and
rediscovering the node, the correct oid will be used. Make sure
the vendors and agents you reference in that file are defined in
the fields definition files (c:\usr\OV\fields\C\snmp_fields for agents,
c:\usr\OV\fields\C\ovw_fields for vendors) and the vendor and
agent fields will be filled in as well when they are rediscovered.

Detroit

                    Mans

                    Langert/Sweden       To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    /IBM@IBMSE           cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     [NV-L] Wrong OID in
database
                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    10/26/01 04:31

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi,

I have two objects (  Cisco 3548 switches)  in the database that show up
with sysOID 1.3.6.1.4.1.3.1.1.99 (ovobjprint -s nodename) of some reason.
If I MIB browse them and query mib-2.system.sysObjectID I get the correct
1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.278. I deleted the objects and redoscovered them, did a
"Repair Topology" but it's still the same. Why is that?
NV 602, NT4/SP6

Regards
Måns Langert

IBM Global Services