RE: Problem with netmon

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Problem with netmon
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:09:53 -0500
Stephen -

If you just type "ping <ip_address> or ping <hostname> from the command
line and it fails, that is NOT a NetView problem.
Ping by itself is a TCP/IP primitive and part of the TCP/IP stack
maintained by AIX as part of the base OS.
If ping is failing then you have some kind of basic TCP/IP configuration
issue.
Sorry but problems of that fundamental a level are not my area of
expertise.
Best I can suggest is that you use SMIT to check the config and restart
your interface if it is down.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Olson, Stephen J" <stolson@state.pa.us>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
10/29/2001 12:58 PM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion