Re: Rules stop functioning -- some things to check

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Rules stop functioning -- some things to check
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:09:01 -0500
The way to determine whether or not your rules are working is to trace
nvcorrd.
This you do with the nvcdebug command .  A full trace is achieve by
issuing "nvcdebug -d all".
Then you can look in the nvcorrd.alog and see what is happening.  After
1000 lines have been written there it will switch to the blog.  And back
gain after another 1000 lines.

You said you were running a lot of rules out of ESE.automation.
When you do "netstat -a" do you see backed up sockets for nvcorrd?  These
would be entries in the netstat list which show "nvcorrd" and have high
numbers in the Send or Receive queues.  The most you can have is 32,767
but any relatively high number indicates a problem.
If you see this, check the Initial node (the "purple pizza") of your
rulesets running out of ESE.automation.  Does it say PASS or BLOCK?  Only
BLOCK is allowed for a ruleset running in the background out of
ESE.automation.

I also presume that you saw my earlier append about name resolution.  Your
 Query Smartset test will fail if the attribute resolves to an IP Address
rather than hostname.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Scott Bursik" <tivoliesm@hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
11/07/2001 11:56 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion