RE: Acknowledged trap generated by trapd

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Acknowledged trap generated by trapd
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 23:23:45 -0500
Well, I do set NVMAPGLOBALACK, so that acknowledgements will be
shared and stored. I don't see what that has to do with things getting
acknowledged all by themselves. I sat there the other night and watched my
'Problem Interfaces' smartset with dozens of interfaces in it all  flashing
in
waves of red and ack-green until I grabbed them all and unmanaged them.
One local motif session.

I have seen occasional acks that I suspect are users trying out the web
when I am not looking. And when I open the map, I see all of these
acks at once, and events in the trap log to go with them. That appears
to be normal behavior from what I am reading here.

I wonder if a web client user was dialed in from home and was goofing
around greening up the map when I had the waves of them. I wonder
if they acked and unacked a few times, or, since it was slow, sent the
ack request several times. I wonder if it would have stopped on its own
if I had not unmanaged them (Don's case sounds like maybe not), or
if it is possible to set off a chain reaction. Pretty cool....

Detroit

                    Scott

                    Donohoo/Raleigh       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    /IBM@IBMUS            cc:

                    Sent by:              Subject:     RE: [NV-L] Acknowledged
trap
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.        generated by trapd

                    com

                    11/07/01 10:48

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Don,

Other than someone sending the trap manually using the event command or
acknowledgedUtil (which does it for you), ovw_binary generates these traps
only if NVMAPGLOBALACK is set. And it looks like ovw generated the traps
in this case. If they had been sent manually, you would also see
"netmon-related Application connected to trapd" in the trapd.log.

Like James said, it only has to be set for one gui's environment. Whether
or not the variable is set at ovw startup is logged in
/usr/OV/log/ipmap.log. You might check there to see if it is reported as
ever having been set at startup. If ipmap.log shows it has never been set
and you still get these traps, you should call support to have it
investigated.

--
Scott Donohoo
Tivoli NetView for Unix/NT L3

James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
11/07/2001 10:25 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion