Re: Mail Problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Mail Problems
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:51:35 -0500
Just so the rest of you don't start thinking I'm going to volunteer
to call you to help with your questions, let me clarify that I was
(recently) involved in setting up the systems that Mike is having
his problem with, as well as the system at the other company
involved, so I may have some responsibility. However I will
do my best to blame the problem on that 'other company' (watch
out, Dermott....:)

Detroit

                    Mike Walsh

                    <Mike.Walsh@reli       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    astar.com>             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Mail
Problems
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.c

                    om

                    11/09/01 10:12

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Leslie,

Always glad for any assistance from you.  If it is alright with you, I will
be sure to be at
my desk between 1 and 2 central time.

Mike

Leslie Clark wrote:

> Mike, let's take this offline. I'll call you.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Leslie A. Clark
> IBM Global Services - Systems Mgmt & Networking
> Detroit
>

>                     Mike Walsh
>                     <mike.walsh@reli       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
>                     astar.com>             cc:
>                     Sent by:               Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Mail
Problems
> [...]
>                     Discussion
>

> James,
>
> I do not understand it myself.  We have an identical box on our network
in
> another location that is not generateing these traps.  Both boxes are
> running Netview 6.0 on solarus 2.7 OS.  The TRAPD.CONF file was
customised
> by a person at another company we merged with so I am unsure of all of
it's
> details.  I did search it for anything I could recognise that would cause
> this.  I am fairly new to netview so am probably overlooking the obvious.
>
> How would I go about adding this trap to prevent further problems?
>
> Mike
>
> James Shanks wrote:
>
>      I recognize the message but you'll have to tell us what it is doing
in
>      /var/mail/netview.
>
>      The trap is the new global Acknowldeged  trap, though I am mystified
>      as to why you get the Unformatted trap part, because by default
>      NetView will format all his own traps whether there is an entry in
>      trapd.conf or not.   You could always add one if you wanted to
format
>      the trap yourself.
>      But  what have you got set up that is sending this as a mail
message?
>      You'd have to have some customization in place to do that.
>
>      What level of code and what OS are you using?  Has someone
customized
>      traps in trapd to send mail?
>
>      James Shanks
>      Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
>      Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
>

>    Mike Walsh
>    <Mike.Walsh@reliastar.com>                To:        IBM NetView
>    Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com       Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
>                                              cc:
>                                              Subject:        [NV-L] Mail
>    11/08/2001 04:31 PM               Problems
>    Please respond to IBM NetView
>    Discussion
>

>      Hi,
>
>      My Netview server is being flooded by the following messages in the
>      /var/mail/netview file.  I cannot identify where they are comeing
>      from.
>      Does anyone out there recognise these messages and could you provide
>      some guidence in controlling this.  It is bringing my box to it's
>      knees.
>
>      Thanks,
>      Mike
>
>      From: Super-User <root>
>      To: netview
>      Subject: Unformatted Trap: E: NetView, e: 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1, S:
>      50790450
>
>      Trap found with no known format in trapd.conf(4)
>      Enterprise NetView (1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1) community public
>      generic trap:6 specific trap:50790450
>      Timestamp:31938 Agentaddr:dsm21001 args(5):
>      [1] private.enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.3.1.1.2.0 (Integer): 4
>      [2] private.enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.3.1.1.3.0 (OctetString):
dsm21001
>      [3] private.enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.3.1.1.4.0 (OctetString):
default:
>      Acknowled
>      ged 211382
>      [4] private.enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.3.1.1.5.0 (OctetString): 211382
>      [5] private.enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.3.1.1.6.0 (OctetString):
openview