Re: Displaying symbol label over multiple lines

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Displaying symbol label over multiple lines
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:42:34 -0500
I don't think so. And I must say that I have never heard anyone request
such a thing. Netview labels will show the Selection Name up to the
first dot, or the whole IP address if it is not a resolvable address. You
can edit the labels (context menu, edit..Modify..Symbol) but they can
be temporary, and it sounds like a big administrative burden to me
since there is no other access to them except through that dialog.

I suppose these must be labels on things like Location Icons that
you have created, and you want to share a lot of information? One
thing you might do is give them a nice short name, but add a field
to the object that contains your long name string. Creation of
fields (in files in /usr/OV/fields/C) is described in the Programmers'
Guide online, and they are populated using the nvdbimport command,
described in the man page. Fields can be viewed with the rest of
the Object Information (Tools...Display Object Info).

If I have not understood your intent, ask again. I'm curious as to
what you are doing.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

                    "Reuben N Sarinana"

                    <rnsarinana@west.ray       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    theon.com>                 cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     [NV-L] Displaying
symbol label
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com          over multiple lines

                    11/14/01 01:22 PM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Does anybody know if it is possible to display a symbol label over 2 lines
(i.e. by embedding a line-feed in the symbol label field or by editing the
OVw resource file)?   I searched archives and didn't find any info on this
topic.  We are using NetView 4 on a AIX.

Thanks.