Re: snmp configuration question?????

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmp configuration question?????
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:34:25 -0500
If the receiving system (T/EC or Netview?) is Unix, I would
have that system override your DNS for those AIX systems
with multiple interfaces, and have them resolve both addresses
to the same name. The name resolution is done on the
receiving end, so it would not matter to the rest of your
network. That round-robin business does cause Netview
all sorts of trouble anyway. I usually end up putting such
nodes in the /etc/hosts file and creating /etc/netsvc.conf
with 'hosts=local,bind' in it so /etc/hosts gets checked first.

Of course if you are talking about thousands of nodes that
would be an administrative problem as well as a potential
performance problem. But for a few dozen, I would do it
without question.

I'm still confused, though. The round-robin should only be
a problem when resolving a name to an address, shouldn't
it? Traps come in with addresses. And those addresses
will be resolved to names and I thought you would get the
same name every time. Are you having this problem at
the T/EC, or on the Netview server that is passing traps
to the T/EC?

And you DNS experts can take it from here, because
that's all I know on the subject.

Detroit

                    Eric Pobst

                    <epobst00@yaho       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    o.com>               cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     [NV-L] snmp configuration

                    owner-nv-l@tkg        question?????

                    .com

                    11/14/01 04:04

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Does anyone know a way to configure an AIX snmp agent
to send traps only as a particular ip (origin).  I
suspect it is a simple entry in the snmpd.conf file,
like address 10.160.1.23 or something along those
lines.  The customer site I am at uses "Round Robin"
(i am not big fan) so bascially one event could come
in with origin1 ...open trouble ticket.....5 minutes
later, the same event comes in with origin2 (same
box)...opens new trouble ticket instead of treating as
duplicate.  To avoid TEC work, if we could bind to one
interface at the agent level, that should correct our
problem and perhaps save a lot of on going work.

thanks,

Eric
AIX 6.0.2