Re: How to tell NetView not to discovered/display subnets associated wit

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How to tell NetView not to discovered/display subnets associated with routers in seedfile
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:23:37 -0500
It is an ingrained feature of the product that it will find all interfaces
for a device, and that it will draw a network for each of those interfaces.
That's because it is a discovery tool, not a drawing tool. Deleting
them will do no good, as you have discovered. Even if you put the
subnets in the seedfile, that will only prevent other nodes on those
subnets from being discovered.

What you are supposed to do with things you do not want to
see, such as those unmanaged subnets around the fringe of
your backbone, is to hide them.   If your network has been cut and pasted
into Location submaps, you will need to Hide...from All Submaps. If
they are laying on the IP Internet submap still, you can Hide...from This
submap.

Another useful trick to reduce map clutter is to put all of the loose
networks
that don't go to other routers into special Location submaps, for instance
'RtrA_Nets' can hold all the spare bubbles for RtrA. I prefer not to hide
things if I can avoid it.

Detroit

                    donald.turrentine@a

                    msouth.com                To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com        Subject:     [NV-L] How to tell
NetView not
                                               to discovered/display subnets
associated
                                               with routers in seedfile

                    11/14/01 05:54 PM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

NV 7.1, AIX 4.3.3

Is there anyway to tell NetView (ipmap, netmon ?) not to discover and/or
display unmanaged networks? I am using a seedfile to discover a list of
routers in my network.  I do not wish to see anything beyond these routers,
I do care about all the interfaces on the router but not the subnets
themselves.  Netmon is disovering based upon the seedfile properly.  I know
I can put in the !subnet number in the seedfile but we are talking about
1000+ subnets.  I tried doing a find for unmanaged objects and then
selecting these and deleting from all submaps.  When I demand poll a router
it rediscovers all these subnets and draws them on the map again.

-Don