Re: Active/Passive netview systems for paging/email.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Active/Passive netview systems for paging/email.
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:35:27 -0600
Shane,

I have done this many times on unix, but never on Windows.   I do have some
suggestions.

-- You need a way to detect from the secondary NetView if the primary
NetView is up/down.
     You can do this by using nvsniffer on the backup NetView to sniff a
port on the primary NetView server.   You could have it monitor port 8879
which is used by ovwdb.    If the database port goes down, then you could
take action on that by setting a "NetView down" flag.   Your paging process
could look to see if the flag was on or off.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701