Re: Seed file

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Seed file
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:40:53 -0500
If you want to guarantee discovery of your node 192.168.4.56 then that is what
you must add.
Only fully complete individual entries will guarantee discovery.
The others are ranges, which permit discovery (that is they permit
inclusion in the databases provided they are discovered somehow).
So what you have coded,

!192.*.*.1-20
192.168.4.*

Just says that you want to exclude everything in the range of  !192.*.*.1-20
that is not it the range of 192.168.4.*,
but to guarantee 192.168.4.56 is found, you have to add that also.  If not, you
might never run across
it in the ARP cache of some device you do discover.
The addition of the complete address of a node overrides any ranges you
code.

!192.*.*.1-20
192.168.4.*
192.168.4.56

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

bducharme@avdl.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
11/21/2001 01:51 PM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion