RE: RE: Bandwidth Notification

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: RE: Bandwidth Notification
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 07:12:33 -0500
I do the same thing but use snmpCollect with a mib expression.
Where the interface index numbers are all over the place, I use
a script to generate the updates to snmpCol.conf with the correct
instance number for each router.

The mibExpr.conf file that comes with Netview for NT has many
examples in it. That file was not shipped with Netview for Unix
until V7. It is portable, though.

Detroit

                    "Davis, Donald"

                    <donald.davis@firstcit       To:     "'IBM NetView
Discussion'"
                    izens.com>                    <nv-l@tkg.com>

                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com           Subject:     RE: [NV-L] RE:
Bandwidth
                                                  Notification

                    12/03/01 10:42 AM

                    Please respond to IBM

                    NetView Discussion

Dean,
Have another look at the script!

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.1.1.....:
iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib2.interfaces.IfTable.IfEntry
is mib2 NOT private enterprises

private enterprise.... 1.3.6.1.4.1

Yes, the formula you mention is called a Mib Expression in NetView.
You can roll your own if you like in /usr/OV/conf/mibExpr.conf (no GUI).

The reason that I do not use NetView's "Data Collection and Thresholds"
is because you cannot specify a different interface instance for each
router.
You are restricted to all, list or expression.
My WAN-FR links are on various instances and I dont care about the others.
Therefore manually specifying and querying the WAN-FR interface on each
router is the way I do it.

Don Davis