nvpagerd and Sprint PCS phones.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: nvpagerd and Sprint PCS phones.
From: "Bill Evans" <bill_evans@sra.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:17:42 -0500
This isn't quite the answer you wanted but my advice is DON'T use nvpagerd
unless you already have it configured.  nvpagerd is seventies technology.
E-mail works faster and most of the paging services provide e-mail portals
today.  It saves you all the trouble of getting the NetView customization for
the service set up.   You do have to configure sendfile to route to the network
though.

It's also far more efficient to send e-mail to the paging service and in the
case of Sprint PCS  the messaging service.  First make sure your Sprint PCS
subscriber is paying the extra buck and a half monthly for the messaging
service and then send an e-mail to his phone number as in my signature block.

Unix services provide the sendmail capability and NetView for NT provides the
NVMAIL command to do the same.

These two lines executed as a batch file (aka shell script ) from trap
customization on NT send the test message through an smtp server at
nnn.nnn.31.31.  Unix syntax for sendmail differs slightly (I couldn't locate my
Unix version).  I use the intermediate file for debugging.
  echo %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 > \usr\OV\log\trapmail.log
  nvmail -server "nnn.nnn.31.31" -recipient
"9196967513@messaging.sprintpcs.com" -subject "Test   message" -file
\usr\OV\log\trapmail.log
Bill Evans  --  Consultant in Enterprise Systems Management
reply-to: wvevans@prodigy.net
Phone: 919-696-7513
Send short text messages to 9196967513@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Help Anyone with Sprint PCS and nvpager experience!

I'm running NV 6.0.2 on AIX 4.3.3.10.

Can someone please share their experience on how to successfully page
someone's Sprint PCS phone?
I'm calling 888656172 w/ 7E1 word length at 2400 baud. The nvpagerd.alog
shows:

        Carrier sprint rejected message or pager ID.

Thanks

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car.