Re: nvpagerd and Sprint PCS phones....

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvpagerd and Sprint PCS phones....
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:48:32 -0500
You probably cannot do this if what you are trying to do is dial the guy's
phone.

nvpagerd is expecting to talk to another computer and negotiate a  session
with it using the TAP  protocol.
It does not talk to the user's pager but to a paging service.  The only
exceptions are direct dial cases where it just sends digits right after
the it dials the phone,
and unless you have a direct dial device which will capture those and
display them they will be lost.

My suggestion is that you call Sprint and tell them that you have a
computer that you want to send pages to this guy's PCS phone and they will
tell you what you need to do.  You may be required to buy a service from
them, I don't know, but they will have to tell you at least what phone
number  and PIN to use.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
12/06/2001 11:32 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion