Re: PING only to monitor

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: PING only to monitor
From: "Thomas Kunz" <t-kunz@admin.ndis.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:06:14 -0600
These devices that I am referring to are all cisco routers that have already
been discovered and are in my seedfile and the owners say that every time
netview polls the device and the snmp get fails they get an error message on
their log about wrong community name.
Thanks,
Tom

>>> shochste@us.ibm.com 12/11/01 01:49PM >>>
Tom,

By default, NetView will do just that.    Of course, NetView will only ping
the 1 interface.   It cannot find out about the other interfaces if they
exist since it cannot read the MIB.    So hopefully this is a server, not a
router.    If that subnet is not discovered yet, use the command loadhost
to add it to NetView.    You will see it get loaded into NetView and remain
a non-SNMP box with a single interface.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com