SNMP Traffic with Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: SNMP Traffic with Netview
From: "Maxime TRANNOY" <MTRANNOY@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:57:56 +0100
Hello,

I use a Netview to monitor network devices. i want to reduce the SNMP
traffic between the Netview and my SNMP devices.
Is it possible to have an ICMP monitoring with a polling intervall of 5
minutes and an SNMP polling intervall of 15 or more minutes?

By looking closer to the SNMP traffic Between the SNMP devices and the
Netview i have seen that 80% of the traffic are only used to read two kind
of variables iprouteIfindex mib part and Ipnettomediaaddress mib part.

Why is it usefull to have this kind of information?
Is it not possible to reduce the SNMP traffic by checking a part of the
MIB Only?
Why does Netview check this two mibs. Is to check for the interface state
or
is it for matter of auto discovery.

Thanks in advance for your answer

Kind regards/Cordialement.