Re: SNMP Traffic with NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP Traffic with NetView
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:05:21 -0500
Maxine -

I don't do netmon and I don't know its intimate details so I cannot answer
your question the way you would like.
But you can adjust the new node polling interval and the configuration
check poll of a node using xnmsnmpconf.
That is your only interface into how netmon handles SNMP anyway.
Why not just pick a target and see if adjusting the intervals gets you
what you want?
I would also read the help  and the documentation provided on these
issues.

Offhand, in my opinion for what it is worth,  I would say that netmon must
read  the iprouteIfindex and Ipnettomediaaddress in order to determine if
anything on this router has changed, so it has to
be part of some kind of configuration check.  But if you have unnumbered
serial interfaces on that router, then there is no other way to determine
their status, except by SNMP, is there?  And that is what netmon does when
you have such interfaces, is check the entire
router by SNMP, or so I am told.  Finally, I would remind you that NetView
is designed to be an SNMP manager.  There is no point in having it if you
don't want your devices to respond to SNMP.  Routers must or they cannot
be effectively managed.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Maxime TRANNOY/France/Contr/IBM@IBMFR
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
12/17/2001 06:57 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion