Re: Backup of Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Backup of Netview
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:07:42 +0000
Maxine,
To backup everything, you can use the Maintain menu from Serversetup to backup
various amounts of NetView.  If you want to backup everything, take the ALL
option that backs up everything.

If you just want to backup your NetView databases, then stop netmon and
snmpCollect and usr tar to backup /usr/OV/databases (though I think you will
find that official advice says you should stop all NetView daemons before
doing this).

I personally take a mksysb periodically (every 1 - 2 months in a fairly stable
environment).  That backs up other system stuff in addition to NetView.  I
stop all NetView daemons before a mksysb.

With regard to restoring your mksysb on a different system, the hardware
obviously needs to be similar enough for the system part of your mksysb to be
restorable.

With NetView 6, you must have Tivoli Framework.  If you restore your mksysb
and change the HOSTNAME, you will break your Framework (don't believe the
early Release Notes for NV 6.0 that said you can change the hostname - this
has now been changed).  You CAN change the IP address provided you keep the
same hostname.  That's the situation with Framework (no Framework then you
cannot upgrade NetView subsequently or use the Tivoli Desktop or RIM).

Re NetView, you can run /usr/OV/service/reset_ci and that should reset NetView
even if you have changed hostname as well as IP address (but you may have some
problems if you have moved the NetView system to a totally different part of
your network).

If you really want to change hostname and IP address then I would take a full
NetView backup as described in the first item above.  Build your new system
with new name / IP.  Install Tivoli Framework.  Move the /usr/OV.back.v6r0
backup file from your old system to your new system and do a server-update
install.  Even though your new system has no NetView, it will install a new
NetView and then reapply all your customisation and databases from the backup
file.  You will also need to run the reset_ci utility.

Perhaps it would be worth going on the Tivoli NetView for Unix for
Administrators class as it talks about these options and some other items I
have seen you ask on the forum.

Kind regards,
Jane