RE: Capacity Planning ....

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Capacity Planning ....
From: "Ray Westphal" <westphal@accessus.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:43:34 -0600
Stephen.

I have nothing scientific to base my assumption on. I'm monitoring top or
topas which is included in AIX 4.3.3. I suspect we are CPU bound because of
the decreased application performance and markedly less CPU idle time. The
tivolivg volume group is mirrored across 3 disks and the rootvg volume group
is mirrored across 2 disks. I/O wait is not a problem.  I also suspect the
CPU because of the effect adding a SmartSet had on netmon. I also had
problems with SNMP Configuration using the SmartSet selection. nvcold will
consume 25% of the CPU (1 CPU) alone.

Application performance has suffered over the last several months. The only
major change has been increased retries (from 3 to 5). The number of objects
in the database has remained relatively constant (26,xxx). The number of
users has increased slightly to 23 - 27. The paging space usage seems to
indicate a memory leak. PS increases rapidly (and continues to increase)
after 22 users open a map. I hope the 6.0.3 nvlockd fix will take care of
that.

Thanks.
Ray.