RE: Cisco 350 Wireless Access Points MIBs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Cisco 350 Wireless Access Points MIBs
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:40:10 -0500
Thanks for the your timely information and advice, Don, though obviously
I'd prefer that people use addtrap to add traps, rather than trying to
cut-and-paste into trapd.conf.  I think this will do the same thing.

/usr/OV/bin/addtrap -l dot11Disassociate -g 6 -s 1 \
   -n IEEE802dot11 -i 1.2.840.10036.1.6 \
   -o A  -c "Status Events" -t 0 \
   -S 3  \
   -D "The disassociate notification shall be sent when the STA
sends a Disassociation frame. The value of the notification
shall include the MAC address of the MAC to which the
Disassociation frame was sent and the reason for the disassociation." \
   -F "\$E Disassociation Frame \$1 \$2 \$3"
/usr/OV/bin/addtrap -l dot11Deauthenticate -g 6 -s 2 \
   -n IEEE802dot11 -i 1.2.840.10036.1.6 \
   -o A  -c "Status Events" -t 0 \
   -S 3  \
   -D "The deauthenticate notification shall be sent when the STA
sends a Deauthenticate frame. The value of the notification
shall include the MAC address of the MAC to which the
Disassociation frame was sent and the reason for the deauthentication." \
   -F "\$E Deauthenticate Frame \$1 \$2 \$3"
/usr/OV/bin/addtrap -l dot11AuthenticateFail  -g 6 -s 3 \
   -n IEEE802dot11 -i 1.2.840.10036.1.6 \
   -o A  -c "Status Events" -t 0 \
   -S 3  \
   -D "The authenticate failure notification shall be sent when the STA
sends an Authentication frame with a status code other than successful.
The value of the notification shall include the MAC address of the MAC to which
the
Authentication frame was sent and the reason for the authentication failure." \
   -F "\$E Authenticate Fail \$1 \$2 \$3"

 But the rest of this issue still has me puzzled.
If anyone can shed any light on it, I'd appreciate it, because theoretically,
this is a no-no, unless something new has
happened in the IETF that I just don't know about.  But one thing is for
certain, NetView is not prepared to handle MIBs
of this sort in the standard loader/browsers we ship.  That part of the iso MIB
tree has been "off-limits" to commercial
vendors for a long time, since the beginning in fact.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group