[nv-l] re: netmon discovery process

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] re: netmon discovery process
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:04:57 -0600
Dejan,

Here is a suggestion to try which may technically work.  I don't know how
many servers you have.   It may not too....but let me know.    I assume you
can ping the second interface from NetView.

1. Update your DNS or NetView's /etc/host file so that the host name is the
same for both the second and primary address.
2. Make sure the NT box is discovered already with the primary address
3. now you have choices....
    a.  Are the management interfaces in a separate network?    You just
need to make sure NetView has discovered at least one interface already in
that network.   Also, on the NetView map that this subnet is a managed one.
If that is the case, you should be able to ping that interface and netmon
should discover it and put it in the right place due to the hostnames.   If
this does not work, try step B.
   b.  you could try and use the loadhost command to force discovery of
that interface.   Again, the hostname should force it onto the proper host.

good luck.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com