[nv-l] Event Configuration

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Event Configuration
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:23:55 -0500
>From one of my Tivoli books:

Event Log messags can be customized by using the following variables:
$# Displays the number of variables in trap
$* Displays all variables by trap
$n Value of nth variable in trap
etc

My problem:
I am adding a 'optional' action to be run for a specific trap.  This works,
my action runs and I can verify the output.  Lets call my action x.sh.  FYI
x.sh logs to a file that I am viewing.  x.sh is:
---
#!/bin/sh

echo "`date` -- $@" >> /tmp/x.out
---

This is how I have tried to configure my action in Event Configuration
(using full path of course):
x.sh $# -- My output shows '7' as the number of variables (argc), looks
good.
x.sh $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 -- My output shows all 7 variables, everything
looks good.
x.sh $* -- Nothing gets written to log file.  No record of the action
getting kicked off.
x.sh $\* -- Output shows '$', guess the '\' tells the shell to ignore the
'*'.

I canot seem to get $* to work.  Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time,

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer
ARINC Incorporated