Re: [nv-l] link down or router down?

To: jalonso@soluziona.com, nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] link down or router down?
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 14 Feb 2002 01:44:41 -0600
jalonso@soluziona.com writes:
> Hi:
>
> We are beginners with Netview and we are trying to manage a network
> consisting of Cisco Routers in star configuration and Frame Relay
> links with ISDN backups. We have some expertise with Tivoli products
> but not with Networking. We are creating ARS Tickets automatically
> from Netview Events.  Nowadays, we are looking at frDLCIStatusChange
> trap coming from Cisco routers. This trap, as far as we know, could
> be generated because of the link is down or the remote router is
> down.

Correct.  Ya just don't know because depending on how the rremote
router goes down, it can't/won't tell you whether or why it went
down. You are left with the fault that is directly
observable/reportable.

> How could we know if the problem is originated by the remote router
> or the link?

Unfortunatley, you usually can't.  But that's not terrible--at least
you know you need to send someone to check it out!

> Is there any other trap we could evaluate in order to generate the
> proper Ticket, (Router Down or Link Down)?

If you see the status change, you can say for sure that the link is
down, but you can't say why.  As such, I'd file that one into "Link
Down"

There certainly are other traps you could listen for to correlate to
the right conclusion, but the rub is that you have no guarantee that
you'd receive these clues.  A router that doesn't have an interface up
that has a route to Netview can't tell you it's having trouble.   In
addition, the UDP protocol over which SNMP traps rides is "unreliable"
with no guarantee of delivery.

Best Regards,

--
Todd H.