Re: [nv-l] TEC Forwarding

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] TEC Forwarding
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:11:25 -0500
FYI, I just realized I have sent several notes tonight using
Reply with History without changing the Send To. If anyone
got anything good that should be shared, please pass it along.

Anyway, what I do to review event forwarding is to create an
Events Display that subscribes to the same ruleset as the one
being used to send to TEC  - on the Control Desk menu,
Create..Dynamic.... This is only safe if the rule has no
objectionable actions in it, since they would get executed
twice. In that case I make a copy of the rule that does not
include that action.

This lets me monitor what events SHOULD be flowing, and
fine tune things until they are working as desired. Then I
dispense with the display.

Detroit

                    "Scott Bursik"

                    <tivoliesm@hot       To:     nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                    mail.com>            cc:

                    02/19/02 08:53

                    AM

This may not answer your question, but I will throw this out there:

We have taken a different approach all together for entering events into
TEC. We use the action block in the ruleset to forward event attributes of
the trap to a perl script that formats the message and writes the event to
the syslog. We then have a TEC logfile adapter running against that syslog
to pull wanted events into TEC. You then get the advantage of a log file to
reference for events that were or should have been forwarded. In doing this
we have also significantly reduced the number of events going to TEC.

Scott Bursik

Pepsico Business Solutions Group

scott.bursik@pbsg.com

>From: "James Shanks"
>To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
>Subject: Re: [nv-l] TEC Forwarding
>Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:38:48 -0500
>
>All TEC adapters work the same way because they use the TEC EIF libraries.
>

>The cache file only contains entries when the connection is broken. As
>soon as it is established, all entries in the cache are sent to the
>connected TEC server and it is purged. There is no log in NetView of
>traps forwarded, though you could set up the nvcorrd trace to see that if
>you wanted to, but it would be far more detailed than you would probably
>want.. You can do wtdumprl on the TEC side to see what has been received.
> Between wtdumprl and the cache it is fairly easy to tell if your
>forwarding is working.
>
>James Shanks
>Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
>Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
>

>Paul
>02/18/2002 07:38 PM
>

> To: William_Tsoi@TD.COM
> cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
> Subject: Re: [nv-l] TEC Forwarding
>

>If I am not mistaken this is the /etc/Tivoli/tec/cache file. It will
>only exist if the traps are not
>forwarded to tec. I am not 100% sure of this....anyone?
>
>Paul Stroud
>
>William_Tsoi@TD.COM wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >We are currently running Netview 6.02 on AIX 4.3.3. We are forwarding
>traps
> >to TEC after some ruleset processing. I am wondering if there is a log
>file
> >in Netview that actually tells you what traps have been forwarded to TEC
>at
> >what time. I have heard some talk about a queue file for Netview traps
>that
> >stores them before they are forwarded. In the event of failure with TEC,
> >the remaining outstanding traps are stored in there. Can anyone help me
> >confirm these questions and let me know where the files are if they do
> >exist?
> >
> >Any help will be very much appreciated !
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >William Tsoi

> >*NOTE*
> >This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
> >assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
> >help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

>*NOTE*
>This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
>assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
>help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

>*NOTE*
>This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
>assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
>help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here