Re: [nv-l] MLM configuration setup problem

Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM configuration setup problem
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 14:38:49 +0000
Please see my inserts.
Cheers,
Jane

lesdickert@att.net wrote:

> Trying to set up NetView MLM on a Windows 2000
> Server.  Installed it fine from the NetView 7.1
> CD and the log files verify that it is running.
>
> However, when I try to configure it from a NetView 6.0.2
> running on a Sparc station I have trouble.  I can
> demand poll the Windows 2000 server fine, but when
> I run Tools->MLM Configuration Application, I get
> messages along the lines of:
>
> "TME 10 NetView agent(s) not found.
> Community name could be invalid..."

I always test MLM systems with the NetView MIB Browser to ensure that I
can read MIBs from down the MLM part of the tree.  Also test that you can
do SNMP SETs - this is crucial as it is used to configure the MLM.  I
generally test SETs with something noddy like sysContact in MIB-2.  If
this doesn't work, don't even think of using MLM until you have got your
community names sorted.

> Using a Sniffer, I discovered that the MLM Configuration
> Application is doing 3 SNMPGETs to the MLM:
>
> SNMPGET OID           Reply from MLM
> ibm.6.12.1.1.3.0    - returns fine from MLM

This is asking for the MLM logfile - looks fine.

> ibm.6.12.1.10.1.3.0 - no such MIB variable

This is checking for Program Version of the SIA, which was never produced
for Windows but which NetView still tends to check for.  Shouldn't be an
issue.

> ibm.6.60.1.1.1.3.0  - no such MIB variable

No idea what ibm.6.60..... is