Re: [nv-l] Community in traps ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Community in traps ?
From: William.Stringfellow@bankofamerica.com
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 09:16:24 -0800

Jeff,
     The behavior you describe in typical of many programs that use SNMP.
The way to avoid it is in configuring the application correctly.
     The problems we see in our network are caused by the users of COMPAQ
Insite Manger, HP Jet Direct. and others using wild cards in their device(s)
to manage or search list.  If you can get them to configure their app with a
list of specific devices the problem goes away.
     If they can't do this because they want to find rogue/unknown devices,
it can still work if you have a consistent addressing scheme for your
routers/switches.  I.e. all routers and switches will be the first/last
1/2/5(?) addresses in a segment.  With this, they can modify their wildcard
lists to exclude the routers/switches addresses and still be able to find
all of the other things they are looking for.

          Hope this helps someone,
               Bill

********************        ORIGINAL MESSAGE EXTRACT