[nv-l] Acknowledging paradigm

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Acknowledging paradigm
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:28:20 -0500

We use Ack/Unack to maintain known problems and keep top level statuses in
sync.

I just read this is /usr/OV/app-defaults/OVw
!********************************************************************
!
! If the *overrideAcknowledge resource is set to False, when
! an Acknowledged node comes up (changes to ovwNormalStatus), the
! Acknowledged status will *not* be replaced with the
! ovwNormalStatus.  The node will remain Acknowledged.
!
! If the *overrideAcknowledge resource is set to True, then if
! an Acknowledged node comes up (changes to ovwNormalStatus), then
! the Acknowledged status will be replaced with ovwNormalStatus.
!
! In other words, if you want Acknowledged nodes to have their
! Acknowledged status turned off when they come back up, set the
! resource to True.
!
!********************************************************************
*overrideAcknowledge:                  True

My questions are:

1.  Does this mean the only time the Acknowledged status will be removed
automatically (by Netview), will be when the Object status is set to
OVwNormalStatus?

2.  Is there a way to configure Netview (OVw) so that -any time- there is a
status change for an object, the Acknowledged tag is removed?

3.  If I know the Object, can I manually (programmatically) set the objects
status to 'Unacknowledged'?

Thanks in advance,

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer