RE: [nv-l] Acknowledging paradigm

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Acknowledging paradigm
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:32:10 -0500
Leslie,

Thanks for the reply.  A little background on how we use Acking.

We have a "Container Icon" representing multiple nodes (where each node has
one network interface).  We use Compound Propigation to move statuses up the
tree.  Our situation is a node will turn yellow, the yellow status will
propigate to the Container Icon yellow.  Our operators will Ack the
Container Icon (not the node that changes color).  If the node changes red,
we would like the red status to be propigated up to the container icon,
removing the Acked status.  We would like the same for red -> yellow
statuses also.  We have found that the only time the Acked status will
change is when the node changes to OVwNormalStatus.  This was confirmed by
reading that pasted section from the OVw app-default file.  If I am
misunderstanding something, please let me know.

We are in the process of getting the 7.1 media to review it for our
customer.  We are not as flexable as most with respect to change.  Our
customer is internal, thus stubburn.

Can you point me in the direction of the Release notes that discuss this
functionality?  I do know Global Acking was introduced in 6.01, but I have
not seen this reference.

Thanks again for the time you took in replying,

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer
ARINC Incorporated
Office:  (410) 266-2006