RE: [nv-l] No events displayed

To: "Scott Bursik" <tivoliesm@hotmail.com>, <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] No events displayed
From: "Ray Westphal" <westphal@accessus.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 20:45:47 -0600
Hello Scott,
If you have tracing enabled on trapd daemon, run the trapd -T command to start a trace. (See the serversetup trapd configuration.) Wait about 30 seconds and run the command again to stop the trace. Usually the trace will dump to /usr/OV/log/trapd.trace. Edit or cat the file and look for lines like:

    queueing nnn events for a maximum of n,nnn application events. (n=1-9)

If traps received are less than a sustained 10/second you shouldn't ever see more than 1 event queued. The n,nnn above is the trapd application queue size. (Again, see the serversetup trapd configuration.) I have mine set to 15,000 which is probably overkill. Several weeks ago I was receiving 12 traps/second due to SNMP authentication failure traps. At that rate it didn't take long for trapd to queue 8,000+ events. When that occurred, there was a 20 minute delay from the receipt of the trap to the display of the event in the Event Viewer!

This is a neat way to see how fast trapd is losing ground or catching up.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car