Re: [nv-l] Smartset Repercussions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Smartset Repercussions
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:38:16 -0500
I would say that you have answered the question, haven't you.
At least in some cases a very large smartset could impact performance --
you just said it improved when you got rid of it.

The question is "why?".  Well, that may depend on what you are doing with
it.  Why did you create it?  Was xnmsnmpconf using it?   Did operators
look  at it on the GUI?   Even if "nobody is using it", it still is
maintained by the demons and the map processes in the background.

No matter what else, smartsets require maintenance by nvcold, and ovwdb.
Every time nvcold starts he is going to query ovwdb for smartset
ownership, and I believe he also does that periodically, though I am not
certain, because I don't work on that code.  But everybody queries ovwdb,
and that would mean some queries which other daemons and processes, like
ipmap, are doing would sometimes have to wait, I would imagine. And that
could have a negative impact on performance.   On the map, smartsets
require updating by collmap every time a member changes status, which is
again a workload issue.   So if you had a huge smartset you didn't really
need, then yes, I would think it might have a performance impact, but
exactly how much and under what circumstances would be hard to say, and
even harder to measure.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Scott Bursik" <tivoliesm@hotmail.com>
03/13/2002 11:23 AM