RE: [nv-l] Clarity for NV 7.1 Install

To: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Clarity for NV 7.1 Install
From: DSullinger@dot.state.az.us
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:33:20 -0700
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
You Are The Man James!

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: James Shanks [mailto:jshanks@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 11:13 AM
To: DSullinger@dot.state.az.us
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

Well, I would not move a 6.0.1 database to 7.1 cold.   If you want to
preserve your database, then you should preserve everything else that goes
with it.
The proper way to do a migration is to use serversetup "Maintain -->
Backup Selective Data"  on the old installation and save it all. That
creates a directory structure /usr/OV.back.v6r1  and this is what you
tar up and move to the new box BEFORE you install the new  NetView on it.

To install the new NetView from the CD-ROM, without the Framework, you
mount the CD-ROM, and cd to that directory.  Then issue
        ./instalnv   -k SERVER -u

The "-u" is for "update", which means to find the backup directory
structure and use it during the installation.   This is covered in the
Release Notes in great detail.   Don't forget to install the books too
when this is done.  Just substitute  BOOKS for SERVER in the command
above, and drop the "-u".

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

DSullinger@dot.state.az.us
03/19/2002 11:25 AM