[nv-l] Correlation of interface down to node down help

To: "Netview List" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Correlation of interface down to node down help
From: "Thomas Younse" <thomas.younse@centurytel.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:36:08 -0600
Netview 7.1
AIX 4.3.3(8)

I'm just curious if anyone out there has written a script to do correlation
between the multiple interface down messages and the node down that follows
then reference that with a table of addresses to notify based on hostname.

I'm starting to write one now and figured, "Why reinvent the wheel?" in case
it's been done and thought I'd save myself some work, if possible.  My
approach is to update a lookup file with the timestamped interface messages
as they come in and if I receive a node down matching that hostname then
drop the int down messages and only process the node down (since this
happens frequently in our network).  I need to implement something of this
nature to appease the network staff from getting redundant emails plus we've
implemented a TEC console that's alerting client support that I want to
integrate with but I don't want to start passing messages to it until I know
that I'm only passing the pertinent stuff.

If anyone has any suggestions, please be vocal.  Thanks in advance for the
help!

---
Regards,

Thomas Younse, CCNA
Network Analyst - IT Operations Planning

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

- Franklin P. Jones