Re: [nv-l] Correlation of interface down to node down help

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Correlation of interface down to node down help
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:21:44 -0500
Well, I know it is harder to start with the TEC, but that is what it
is really good at, that sort of correlation. I understand that in
Netview V7.1 they have included a ruleset for TEC that does
a fair amount of correlation not only of the Router Fault Isolator
events, but also of the node/interface events. If it is not there,
it is not hard for a TEC rulewriter to do. You will, of course,
have a TEC rulewriter on hand, won't you (that's a hint that
you will need one....).  If you are going to do TEC, don't
waste your time doing this correlation on Netview. Just
send all interface and node events for the intesting devices
to the TEC and handle it  there.

Anybody else?

Detroit

                    "Thomas Younse"

                    <thomas.younse@centu       To:     "Netview List"
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                    rytel.com>                 cc:

                                               Subject:     [nv-l] Correlation
of interface
                    03/20/02 10:36 AM           down to node down help

Netview 7.1
AIX 4.3.3(8)

I'm just curious if anyone out there has written a script to do correlation
between the multiple interface down messages and the node down that follows
then reference that with a table of addresses to notify based on hostname.

I'm starting to write one now and figured, "Why reinvent the wheel?" in
case
it's been done and thought I'd save myself some work, if possible.  My
approach is to update a lookup file with the timestamped interface messages
as they come in and if I receive a node down matching that hostname then
drop the int down messages and only process the node down (since this
happens frequently in our network).  I need to implement something of this
nature to appease the network staff from getting redundant emails plus
we've
implemented a TEC console that's alerting client support that I want to
integrate with but I don't want to start passing messages to it until I
know
that I'm only passing the pertinent stuff.

If anyone has any suggestions, please be vocal.  Thanks in advance for the
help!

---
Regards,

Thomas Younse, CCNA
Network Analyst - IT Operations Planning

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

- Franklin P. Jones