Re: [nv-l] packet errors -- (cisco links)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] packet errors -- (cisco links)
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:26:47 -0400
There is enough information in the vacinity of this link to write your own
network management system for cisco devices:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/snmp-indx.html

This site list their Best Practices White Papers

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/126/

The one I referenced is the Performace Management: Best Practices White
Paper

Detroit

                      netview@toddh.net

                      (Todd H.)                To:       Leslie
Clark/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS
                                               cc:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      05/13/2002 10:36         Subject:  Re: [nv-l] packet
errors -- how do you monitor?
                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

"Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com> writes:
> These are the ones in the current mibExpr.conf, and are what I have been
> using for years. They are what was outlined some time ago in a Cisco
> document that covered recommended mib monitoring. Both should
> usually be thresholded at 1%, depending on your network.  I'm presently
> using the ErrorRate on WAN links and find that repeated thresholds
> exceeded of more than 2% or 3% generally presages a link failure.

I'll hunt for that Cisco document.  I'm aware of these existing in
mibExpr.conf, but continue to muse about the counter nature of all of
them and how that can make your alert latency (the time from when you
have a problem to when the threshold gets triggered) be strongly
dependent on how long the device has been up.

For example--if the counter is reset only on device boot, then imagine
the following scenario:

day 1:  0 errors.  10,000 packets of trafic
day 2:  0 errors.  10,000 packets of trafic
day 10: 0 errors.  10,000 packets of trafic

We've now got a denominator of 100,000 packets in these counters.

Now, day 11 comes and the world goes haywire:

day 11: 999errors.  999 packets.

Even though the entire day we didn't send a packet successfully, even
a 1% threshold wouldn't be reached because the denominator is holding
so much hysteresis of the "good" days.

2 questions:
Theoretically, is my understanding of these variables correct?
Practically, do you find that this effect dramatically slows your
alerting to a given problem?

Best REgards,
Todd