Re: [nv-l] NetView 7.1.1 supports LINUX too

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView 7.1.1 supports LINUX too
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 08:51:02 -0400
You are reading too much into this.  It is just a statement of direction,
and it has been there since V7.1 came out.  The old X11 client-server
architecture is being deprecated. No enhancements, no improvements.

The X11 GUI is still supported on all UNIX platforms.  But the preferred
interface for users who have many operators, each requiring their own
console simultaneously, as opposed to administrators and applications
which work on the server itself, is the Java console, the web client. The
client-server architecture is still provided in AIX and Solaris, just as
it has always been,  but not in Linux.  Even on these other platforms no
new development is being done to the X11 interface.   All that the Linux
Release Notes are saying is that because of this, no support was provided
for the X11 client-server.  If you need additional clients, additional
displays and maps, use the Java console.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Luc BARNOUIN <luc.barnouin@thalesatm.com>
05/03/2002 07:50 AM