Re: [nv-l] NetView 7.1.1 supports LINUX too

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView 7.1.1 supports LINUX too
From: Luc BARNOUIN <luc.barnouin@thalesatm.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 13:50:59 +0200
James,

Thanks for all this information. My last question ...
You mentionned in d: Native Client Support (the Java Console is replacing the native client mechanism) is not included in the Linux release :

=> Does it mean that X11 user interface is not supported anymore?
What would be the compatibility of customer development based on :

  • Graphical User interface Routines (OVw..., OVwDb...)
  • SNMP Routines (OVsnmp...)
  • Filtering and Thrsholding Functions (nvFilter..., OVe...)
  • GTM API Routines (nvot...)
Luc

James Shanks a écrit :

Luc -

I am told that the Release Notes for 7.1.1 will be available on the Tivoli
web site shortly.  In the meantime, here below is what they say about
hardware and software requirements to run NetView on an Intel Platform
using Linux.  I don't know about plans for any other platform other than
the zOS (390 mainframe) partition.  Nothing else has been announced

Linux Hardware Prerequisites

   1. 450 MHz Intel Pentium or faster
   2. 512 MB of system memory
   3. 1 GB of swap space
   4. 500 MB of file system space for NetView code
   5. 500 MB of file system space for network database
   6. Minimum video requirements
          Configure display to use 8 or 24 bit color only for images to
display properly
          Minimum resolution should be 1024X768

Linux Software Prerequisites
IBM Tivoli NetView for Linux Version 7.1.1 runs on RedHat or SuSE Linux
for Intel v7.1, and requires that the following packages be installed:

   1.binutils
   2.inetd
   3.ucd-snmpd (RedHat rpm is ucd-snmp, SuSE rpm is ucdsnmp) (Version
4.2.2 or higher)
   4.Xvfb (RedHat rpm is XFree86-Xvfb, SuSE rpm is xextra)
   5.pdksh (pdksh-5.2.14.rpm must be installed from the RPMS package
provided on the IBM Tivoli NetView for Linux Version 7.1.1
     CDROM)
   6.Netscape Version 4.7 or higher

What else is not ported?   Again from the 7.1.1 UNIX Release Notes under
Produtc Notes:

5.The following functionality has not been included in the Linux Intel
platform release of Tivoli NetView for UNIX Version 7.1.1.

        a.Agent Policy Manager (APM), C5eui, and MLM (Linux will have
limited support for remote MLM configuration).
        b.Tralertd and Spappld (the preferred method is to use MSM/IP and
trap forwarding).
        c.MLM.
        d.Native Client Support (the Java Console is replacing the native
client mechanism).
        e.XMP API support (for CMIP and CMOT applications)
        f.RIM Database Support (there will be no support for TME RIM).
        g.TME Installation (Linux installation will always be Framework
independent).
        h.Tivoli Integration Pack for NetView (TIPN supports integration
with TME Framework components).
        i.Backup Manager.
        j.Cisco Integration Adapters (The Cisco integration utility is not
currently supported on Linux).

Hope this helps.  If you need more, I probably cannot help, since I did
not work on the port nor do any testing on Linux.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Luc BARNOUIN <luc.barnouin@thalesatm.com>
04/25/2002 02:24 PM